Friday 30 September 2011

Task 1b

As soon as I began reading the Reader, I felt a little apprehensive as I am not really very good at this technology thing. However, as I began to read further I realised that actually most performers and teachers use Web 2.0 to help develop their careers. I realise that this course is not only going to develop my thinking as a performer/teacher but also help me with technology too. I plan to open my own performing arts school, for this to be sucessful and popular it means I am going to have to update my knowledge online, for example; most performing arts schools have their own websites- I had a look at a few sites and found that using a website is a very good way of publicising a business. Schools have written information about the classes they offer, the age range that they teach, timetables of classes, information on private classes, contact details and prices. Some even have videos and a photo gallery on them! Making and maintaning a website is obviously something all teachers should do. It advertises and publicises your business.
My thoughts then went onto sites like facebook, youtube and twitter. These are easily accessible sites for everyone. Therefore, anyone can type your name into it and find you, this means keeping your facebook page and youtube channel professional and clean. There would be nothing worse than a director searching your name on facebook to get some information on you and there is a photograph of you from the night before!

We can all use Web 2.0 for professional use and I think it is a very helpful and quick method of communicating with other professionals. However, as Web 2.0 has its pros, I agree with some that it does have its cons. A main concern for me is that I was using Web 2.0 at the age of 12 without even realising. I had a Bebo account and a Myspace account. This is a scary thought that children are using social networking sites to talk to their friends, however, could be talking to someone they do not even know! It is very easy to set up a facebook account and more children are doing so everyday. As I said anyone could type in a name and it could be anyone that appears on the search page, even a child who is using Web 2.0 innocently.

Overall, I think Web 2.0 is great for developing careers and getting into contact with other professionals however, it is concerning that children can access it so easily!

No comments: