Monday 26 September 2011

Task 1a

As I took a look at my CV today, I could see that there are many things it is lacking. Professional work at the moment is difficult for a graduate but when the majority of credits on a CV are from college, it seems we have to pick and choose what we want to put on our CV, carefully. I realised that when I am applying for a job or audition, I alter my CV to that specific application, for example; if I am submitting it for a free lance teaching job, I am likely to put most of my teaching work on there whereas with a Cruise ship audition, I would use all my dance experience to pad it out and minus the teaching experience. A CV is a professional representation of who you are and what you are selling yourself as. I realise, after taking a long look, that a CV is showing to the industry how you want to be portrayed, therefore it is important to get it right. It is not a process to be rushed if it is to be taken seriously. I like to see my curriculam vitae as a 'work in progress'.
The challege here was using the information from my CV to sound professional in my profile, however, a profile is a more personal approach of portraying 'you'. There is a fine line between enticing the reader, holding their interest and repelling them. Again, referring to before, even with a profile we are still publicising ourselves on the internet so we must pick and choose again what we want people to read about us.
This is a task I will be working on throughout my career, changing my CV to suit each purpose to get the best possible results.

3 comments:

Ebony Arogundade said...

Hi Rebecca

I also trained at the Urdang Academy and then worked at Disneyland Paris...small world i guess. I was just reading about what you wrote on CV's and its all very true. I like your portrayal on it. I think you just have to work with you've got and then just let your dancing do the talking.

I look forward to meeting you soon hopefully and discussing about all the things we seem to have in common.

Ebony

Rebecca Clarke said...

Hi Ebony,

Thank you for your comment. Ah! Very small world, how funny! I think with the CVs everybody has to change it to suit the application they are going for really. I think it could be a little more so though with performers!

Whyte.S said...

Hi Rebecca

I think your right about performers having to change their CVs to suit the role they are applying for and that we probably have to do it more than other industries. I think thats to do with how versertile we have to be and the high demand for work there always is.

I definitely agree with providing more credits that are associated with the job your applying for but recently a friend of mine pointed out that other credits can show a different side of you that an employer may be interested in, despite it not seeming relevant.

I find the hardest thing is keeping all my CV's up to date, the one on my laptop the one my agent has the one on castingcallpro the one on spotlight.

Anyway best of luck

Sarah