Monday 26 September 2011

Sucess within teaching

'The talent of success is nothing more than doing what you can do well, and doing well whatever you do without thought of fame. If it comes at all it will come because it is deserved, not because it is sought after.'
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, American poet, 1807-1882
 
The beginning sentence of this quotation definitely stimulated my thinking. I came across it online when looking for books of poems to help the children I teach with their self belief. When teaching young adolescents I find that many of them say "I can't" when they find something difficult. This is a way of reassuring themselves that because they have tried and not picked something up straight away, they have given up. However, they have not necessarily tried their best. I realise that to be successful is not always to be the best of the best but to do the best that you can do. This will fulfill you and make you proud of what you have achieved not what you haven't managed to achieve.

'They can because they think they can.'
Virgil, Roman poet, 70-19 BC

I remember when I was studying dance and drama, if I didn't get a routine or acting method straight away, I would say to myself "why can that girl do it and I can't?" The problem is in the question, I said "I can't". The girl who picked up the dance quicker than me was saying to herself "I can". Whilst asking questions to themselves, children do not realise they could sometimes be putting themselves down and lowering their self esteems so they make it impossible for themselves to strive for what they could easily achieve with motivation and hard work. They are defeated before they attempt. As a teacher, I need to help them work around that fear of "I can't" and guide them towards "I can". At the moment I am trying a style of teaching called 'Individual' teaching, this is when the teacher determines the content and the student plans the programme, for example; I give the children a piece of music and I leave them to their own devices to choreograph a routine. I think this helps the children to develop their confidence levels, they feel like they have achieved something and leave the class having learnt something about dance and themselves. Alternatively, I may use the 'Learner initiated' style when the student plans their own programme and the teacher advises them. Using this method I can guide them with ideas, give them a head start and help them to finish their project.

http://www.sports-media.org/sportapolisnewsletter23newlook.htm- I found this website very useful for teaching methods so people may like to use this.

4 comments:

Alan/MDX said...

Great start Rebecca. In terms of what your Blog 'looks like' the tenor of your writing etc, its multiple purposes - I think that needs to be something that evolves and is crafted by you.

The main thing to remember is it is for the programme AND your professional practice. the Reader on Web technologies talks about remixable data - have a look it might stimulate some further thoughts. At a practical level you could look at post students Blogs to see where you think it is done well and why?

Great to have you on board and for getting a good start with your Blogs.

Aïcha Badri said...

Hi Rebecca,

As a dance teacher I was really interested to read your thoughts on 'I can't' and fully agree. At college we were forbidden to say the word 'can't' in one teacher's lesson, and I myself have found things easier from simply attacking them with a more positive attitude ('I CAN turn to the left, it's easy'-for example!)

I find that quite often it's older children who feel they 'can't' do something, whereas younger ones are usually more enthusiastic to try a few times to get it right. Perhaps it is an awareness of other people watching (like your example) and feeling judged that puts them off trying for fear of failure. I try and encourage my students to feel confident and believe in themselves, but it's not always easy!

Rebecca Clarke said...

Hi Aicha,

Thank you for your comment. I tend to sit the children down when they start losing focus because they think they 'can't' do it. I tell them that they can do it and I try to give them an example from my experience to show them that everyone can do it as long as they try. I feel this works as they begin to realise that it is actually about having fun and doing the best that they can do. I agree, it is very hard and even more so with the older children!

Liam said...

Hi Rebecca,

I would most certainly with your ideas on this subject. I've seen many students in the past (and I agree with Aicha, it tends to be the older ones)who barely try something because the second they do, they feel they can't do it and are self concious.
It is something I've struggled with as a teacher, especially when its specifically one or two children not giving it a go. Giving them extra attention often makes them feel more self concious and exasperates the problem.

It's tricky, but your post has certainly made me question how I should be handling low self esteem and lack of trying in my students.